The Lake District Guide
BassenthwaiteSituated about a mile and a half from the northern shore of Bassenthwaite Lake, Bassenthwaite village consists of afew cottages, a village green, two churches and a pub. Chapel Beck flows through the village with Grizedale Pike towering above.
The Sun Inn is well noted for it's excellent bar meals. Coledale Inn on the hillside above the village has some great fell views and offers lodgings.
St Bega's church stands alone, in a romantic setting on the shores of the lake. It is reached by a footpath from the village. The building is Norman but it is situated on the site of a much earlier church. St Bega was an Irish Noblewoman who founded the seventh century Benedictine nunnery at what is now St Bees.
Mirehouse is a delightful 17th century manor house close to the eastern shore of the lake, and within sight of the church. Open to the public during the summer months, it contains a Victorian schoolroom and nursery with much of its original furniture. In the ground are wooded walks and a 19th century sawmill has been converted int tea rooms.
Hesket NewmarketThe tiny village of Hesket Newmarket 'the hillside where ash trees grow' is set around the village green, nestling in the northernmost part of the Lake District National Park. This is the heart of John Peel country, where the Caldbeck fells offer plenty of good local walking. There is a post office cum general store, a pub, a covered market cross, a hall and a brewery.
The village pub, called the Old Crown, offers many special beers from the Hesket Newmarket independent brewery. Meals are also available at the pub.
Caldbeck, just a mile down the road, has a pub with restaurant facilities and Priest's Mill offers really good vegetarian food.
For more information on the area please take a look at the Hesket Newmarket website on Hesket Newmarket
For more information on the brewery please take a look at the Hesket Newmarket Brewery website on Hesket Newmarket Brewery
DacreDacre, 'the trickling brook', situated just north of Pooley Bridge, is an ancient, attractive village consisting of farms, cottages, a church, pub and a castle.
The church of St Andrews is said to be built on the site of a Saxon monastery. The tower was originally Norman but was rebuilt in the early 19th century. In the chancel there are two parts of ancient cross shaft, one of which illustrates Adam & Eve. There are several monuments to the Hasell family who have lived at nearby Dalemain since 1665.
In the churchyard there are 4, three ft high carvings of bears, known as the Dacre Bears, marking the 4 corners of the original churchyard and probably Ango-Viking in origin.
Dacre has a fine pele tower built on the site of a Norman Castle. It is a private residence and not open to the public.
The Horse and Farrier pub is well known for it's good food and drink. The nearby Yanwath contains a fine manorial hall, birthplace of the Quaker Thomas Wilkinson. Tirral has a charming village green, several houses and an 18th century inn. One of the present private houses was once an old Quaker meeting place. Charles Gough was buried here. He died on Helvellyn in 1805 and his body was not discovered until 3 months later, still guarded by his faithful dog.
|Homepage Towns and Villages menu Lake District Accommodation Local Attractions|