Lake District Towns and Villages
Gosforth in the Lake District National Park
Gosforth, 'the goose ford', is a large but pleasant rural village, situated at the Wasdale turn-off from the A595 near the western coast of Cumbria. In the village square there is a Post Office, Bakery, Grocers, Newsagents, cafe, craft shops and several pubs including the Wheatsheaf and Ye Olde Lion & Lamb. Within a short distance there are a couple of hotels, the Gosforth pottery and a couple of Garden Centres.
Gosforth is perhaps best known for St Mary's, one of the most historical churches in the area. The present church dates from 1789, but there was a church on the site since at least the 12th century. During restoration work in the late 19th century, a pair of Norse hogback tombstones were uncovered in the foundations, but the real treasure is the Viking cross in churchyard, tall and slender, and covered in intricate markings, it is one of the finest in the country. A scale model of it inside the church picks out the detail more clearly. The graveyard also contains a cork tree, planted in 1833 by the then rector of Gosforth, James Lowther Senhouse, the most northerly in Europe.
Gosforth pottery is worth a vist for it's large range of handmade stoneware and earthenware and decorative biscuit stamps which are sold world wide.
There are plenty of places to visit within a short drive from Gosforth. Wastwater and Wasdale Head are within easy reach, as is the small, quiet and attractive resort of Seascale.