Askham in the Lake District National Park
Askham is a pretty village situated 3 miles east of Pooley Bridge in the lowther valley. There are a number of 17th and 18th century houses with an estate on the outskirts, two pubs, the Punch Bowl and the Queen's Head, a village green, a hall, a church and some nearby castle ruins.
Lowther Castle, situated on the Lowther Estate, was built by the architect Robert Smirke in the early part of the 19th century as a family home for the Earl of Lonsdale. By the mid 1930's it was proving too expensive to run , so the Lonsdale family moved to Askham Hall and the building was allowed to fall into ruins.
Askham Hall was a 14th century building converted into an Elizabethan mansion in the mid 16th century by Thomas Sandford, whose family lived in it until 1828 when it became a rectory.
St Stephen's church was also designed by Robert Smirke, probably on the site of a much older church believed to have been dedicated to St Kentigern.
St Michaels church is on the route from the village to Lowther Castle, an isolated building with a small graveyard overlooking the River Lowther. The main bulk of the church is Victorian though parts date back to the 13th century. Standing in the churchyard is the Lowther Mausoleum built in 1857.
The fifth earl of Lonsdale was the first president of the Automobile Association which used his family's colours on their signs.
There are severak other quaint villages in the area.
Lowther Newtown was built in the late 17th century to replace an existing village, whilst Lowther to the east is a model village designed by the 18th century architect Robert Adam.
Lowther Park is the site of a Leisure centre with a host of activities suitable for all ages including the Lakeland Bird of Prey centre.